Autumn 2012 is a challenge for thousands of area families, as rising gas and food prices leave little for children’s school supplies. Several area businesses want to ensure that local public school students and kindergartners have the materials they need to do their best.
These two businesses have partnered to run the Williamsburg School Supplies Drive.
“Success in school is often linked to success as an adult, and having the right tools is vital to success,” says Knights Inn owner and Williamsburg City Councilman Doug Pons. “We want to make sure the first day of school is exciting for every local child.”
This year’s school supply drive is nicknamed “Fill the Room,” because the Knights Inn Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area (620 York Street) has emptied a guest room to fill with school supplies. Cosponsors of the drive are Basecamp Productions and Helen’s Place Photography.
Through October 31st, residents and businesses can deliver donations of new school supplies to one of several drop-off locations around town. When James City County, Williamsburg, and York County schools open, school counselors and staff will discreetly distribute the supplies as needed.
Among items to bring (new only):
- #2 yellow pencils
- 1-subject spiral notebooks
- 3×5” index cards
- Baby wipes
- Backpacks (no wheeled backpacks)
- Black and white composition books
- Colored pencils (Crayola Erasable twistables)
- Crayola crayons (24 colors per box)
- Disinfecting wipes
- Elmer’s glue (4 oz.)
- Glue sticks
- Hand sanitizer bottles
- Lunch boxes
- Paper plates and cups
- Pencil sharpeners w/ shaving catcher
- Pink erasers (Pink Pearl type)
- Plastic eating utensils
- Plastic pencil boxes (standard size, not oversize)
- Pocket folders
- Post-It notes
- Scissors (Fiskar brand)
- Subject dividers, 5 tab
- Three-ring binders (white, 1 ½”, 2” and 3”, clear plastic sleeve cover; available at Costco)
- Thumb drives
- Washable Crayola markers (classic colors)
- White paper lunch bags
- Wide-ruled loose leaf notebook paper
- Ziploc baggies – gallon, quart, and sandwich
You may drop off school supplies at Knights Inn Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area, 620 York Street, daily between 9 am and 7 pm, and at Helen’s Place Photography Tuesdays through Saturdays, 10 am to 5 pm. Ripley’s Believe It or Not, 1735 Richmond Road, will accept donations daily from 10 am until midnight.