Every week seems to bring another devastating Facebook Live video posted online. A Florida teenager killed herself live on the internet in January. A woman in Sweden was reportedly raped while her three attackers broadcast it for hundreds to see. And video of a 12-year-old girl’s suicide was broadcast on social media. (more…)
Three years ago, on the 18th of November, 2013, the Oxford English Dictionary named the term “selfie” as their Word of the Year.
It was a term coined by an Australian, who took a photo of himself. He then posted it on an ABC online forum, saying, “Um, drunk at a mates 21st, I tripped ofer [sic] and landed lip first (with front teeth coming a very close second) on a set of steps. I had a hole about 1cm long right through my bottom lip. And sorry about the focus, it was a selfie”.
Today the term crops up with the regularity of death and taxes in news feeds across the world, and like death and taxes, it releases myriad conflicting contrails. (more…)
These days businesses can focus so much on the trees that they forget the forest.
Take the newspaper business, which has been on a death spiral for at least 20 years.
- We have 20% fewer journalists working today than we had in 2001 (Saba, Jennifer (March 16, 2009). “Specifics on Newspapers from ‘State of News Media’ Report”. Editor & Publisher. Archived from the original on March 20, 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-17).
- Many readers no longer seek out newspapers per se; they look for specific writers, journalists, social media and blogs. (Ibid)
- In an effort to cut costs, many news publications have cut staff and content, which turns away readers, creating a vicious cycle. (Morton, John (October–November 2007). “Buffeted: Newspapers Are Paying the Price for Shortsighted Thinking”. American Journalism Review.)
Ever since the first person recommended buying farm eggs from the farm down the lane, word of mouth marketing has been at work.
With word of mouth marketing, people tell their friends what a good job your company did for them, and their friends tell other friends. In this way, a good job can go a long way.
We’ve known for a very long time that word of mouth marketing is the best way to make new, loyal friends and sell products and services to them.
According to Nielsen, 92% of consumers believe recommendations from friends and family are better than advertising. (more…)
- receive emails with attachments that really turn out to be the senders’ logos and other gewgaws like professional credentials?
- find that emails with attachments are often sent to junk mail by accident?
- discover that legitimate (but large) email attachments are turned away by your recipient’s server?
SEO is at least half of your digital pie, some say more.
Building your web presence is like building a house. A house is just a house. How are you going to make your house really attractive to others? (more…)